Dropshipping from Aliexpress to Amazon sounds really interesting and you might be wondering if anyone has done so? Is it even worth trying? Can I really make money?
These are all the questions you have regarding dropshipping on Amazon from AliExpress. Let's jump into straight away!
You can absolutely buy on AliExpress and sell them on Amazon for a profit. Dropshipping from AliExpress to Amazon is a viable option to make money dropshipping. But, there are certain risks associated with dropshipping from AliExpress to Amazon.
Firstly, let's understand what is AliExpress and also many people confuse AliExpress with Alibaba. Let's see what these are on a high level.
Alibaba is a pure B2B focused marketplace where you find manufacturers, wholesalers, suppliers, middlemen e.t.c that manufactures, customize product for clients. This is the place where retailers and dropshippers place bulk orders from suppliers and manufacturers.
On the other hand, AliExpress is a B2C online marketplace just like Amazon where retailers sell to consumers directly. 95% of the dropshippers start their dropshipping journey from AliExpress which is known as the hub of dropshipping.
Note that both AliExpress and Alibaba are from China and all the sellers and manufacturers on both these platforms are mostly from China. The companies are mainly divided on the basis of wholesale and retail.
Alibaba sellers only take wholesale (bulk) orders and on the other hand AliExpress takes individual orders like any other e-commerce store.
One key thing to note is that the price of products on AliExpress is much cheaper than other platforms as the sellers get the products directly from manufacturers in China. They act as a middlemen between buyers and manufacturers. This is the reason you can source products on AliExpress at a much cheaper rate.
Now, coming back to dropshipping from AliExpress to Amazon - You can find some cool and unique products on AliExpress, list them on Amazon and once you have an order on Amazon, then order the product on AliExpress and ship to your customer directly.
Although it might sound simple, it's not so easy as there are a few challenges in this process.
Shipping Time & Product Quality
Majority of the sellers on AliExpress offer e-packet shipping which takes more than 30 days to reach your customer. On the other hand, Amazon offers the fastest shipping times which sometimes reaches the customer on the same day too!
Another challenge with AliExpress is the order processing time. Processing times may even take up to 1 week at times and the seller might not provide you with a tracking number which is an issue when you are selling on Amazon. Amazon and their customers expect prompt tracking updates and quick deliveries which is tricky when dropshipping from AliExpress.
Another important element of dropshipping is the Product Quality. As a dropshipper, you don't get to experience the product you are shipping to your customers which is a big challenge as you don't want to send bad quality products to your customers. That too, when selling on Amazon as they are very critical with Product quality and Customer experience that made them the leading e-commerce brand in the world.
The above are the key things you need to look after when dropshipping from AliExpress to Amazon. If you are able to crack the above, I'd say you'll get success for sure with Amazon Dropshipping.
Now, let's say you found a great seller on Ali Express who has some sort of expedited shipping and also has good number of positive ratings.
What's next? You want to know how to get started!
- Go to AliExpress site and sign up for an account if not already done.
2. Find a product that is not commonly found on Amazon or in any of the retail stores. You can search with keywords like Unique etc in the search box.
Example - Compass Watch (as in the below image)
3. Go to the Product page and scroll down to find the seller details (reviews/ratings/time on AliExpress)
4. Ensure the overall seller feedback is above 95% always independent of the product you are interested in. Also, sellers with more than 1,000 followers are more safe to work with.
5. Now, time to talk to the supplier and check the estimated shipping times to the USA and see if they can deliver within 14 days and also make sure the processing time is not high. Wouldn't go with anything that is more than 1-2 days for processing.
6. Once everything is looking good, time to jump to Amazon and start listing your product.
7. Before you start selling, you need to complete a formal process by registering through the Amazon Seller portal.
Please note you'll need the below to setup a seller account with Amazon.
- Business email address or Amazon customer account
- Chargeable credit card
- Government ID (identity verification protects sellers and customers)
- Tax information
- Phone number
- A bank account where Amazon can send you proceeds from your sales
8. Once registered, choose a selling plan. I'd recommend starting with the Individual plan that costs you $0.99 per every dropshipping sale on Amazon. This helps dropshippers as you don't have to pay anything upfront.
9. Once your Amazon account is setup, you can create an Amazon listing like below to start getting some traffic and sales too ;)
These are all the steps you need to follow in setting up your Amazon dropshipping account to dropship from AliExpress.
As long as you are able to handle the key dropshipping challenges with AliExpress as mentioned in this article, you should be good.
Make sure there is no branding or invoices in the product packaging as that violates the Amazon selling policies.
Initially, you'll need to test a good number of products till you find the one that works for you. Keep testing new images, new Listing copies and products to get that product/market fit.
Let me know how it goes for you and keep me posted below on your Amazon Dropshipping from AliExpress! Good luck!!